About Me

The story of a man, a woman, and a baby just making it happen. Please contact me at keaneyblueseagull@gmail.com

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

One Small Step, Her Giant Leap


Today I have the honor of my first guest post! It comes to us from one of my favorite people Meg Curran. She is currently located in Los Angeles and I am oh so so proud to have her add to my site and I encourage any others to email me if you want to join in on the fun. I really am just jazzed up right now and can't thank her enough!

Enjoy...

2013: The Quarter Life Club & the Year of the List

Has your Facebook recently turned into a place where people share articles about every shallow topic under the sun?  Logging on this morning my newsfeed brought me a few pleasures: 24 Real Ways to Be a Woman, 10 Things No One Tells You About Being Engaged (in which my friend’s beautiful engagement photo has gone viral via Pinterest and now Huffington Post), and Is This the Most Important Selfie of 2013? And to the posters of said lists I say: bring back the TFLN and TFM wall posts!  But in all seriousness, my best guess is that this is a product of being 25, a little lost, and having a lot of “friends” in the same boat.  Some of the viral lists are painstakingly hilarious, don’t get me wrong, I’m not a Buzzfeed hater; I’m just specifically interested in where women are gaining their advice in 2013.

These lengthy, often gif-accompanied lists seem to have propelled 20-somethings into a place of self-help through following each blindly.  Now that is an interesting #socialmediastrategy if you ask me.  Let’s all give advice to each other even though my personal life/work life/financial situation (choose one or more) is in shambles.  I am not trying to insinuate that all 20-somethings should have it together and I will happily be the first to admit that I do not.   But perhaps we should take a page from someone else’s book for once instead of our instantly gratified and satisfied lives.

A good friend of mine turned 25 just a few months after me and I welcomed her into the quarter-life crisis club with a weekend away in wine country sipping – no, chugging – copious amounts of wine.  In lieu of gifts, she reached out to her family members for advice and things they wished they knew at 25.  I thought this was a phenomenal idea and one that really rivals all of the numbered list articles that you could possibly read during a slow afternoon in the office.  Don’t pretend like you don’t know exactly what I mean.  So if you’re having a slow afternoon and reading THIS, why don’t you send an email to your mentor, older siblings, aunts and uncles, mom, dad, or grandparents?  I can guarantee you it will make your afternoon more meaningful.  Meanwhile, I’ll be continuing to toy with the idea of deleting my Facebook…

However, if you haven’t seen this bad boy yet today…you should probably take a quick look: http://happyplace.someecards.com/28039/girl-has-perfect-response-to-friends-triple-engagement   (courtesy of the blog-owner’s baby mama).

Cheers!

Meg “Auntie twice-a-year” Curran

Proud Groomsman Bridesmaid in Stay at Home Dad’s Wedding

1 comment: