Hello, before we get started I feel as though I should explain myself. This page will chronicle the joys, laughs, questions, answers, problems, rants, and what ever else I feel like in connection to my life as a stay at home dad. Yes, you could call this a daddy blog, and please do, but even more than that this is my take on being the parent at home. I have been afforded the experience of being the 8ish-5ish Monday through Friday caretaker of my 2 year old daughter Sloane. Needless to say my Fiance Holly, or for my purposes here "the Rainmaker" is a wonderful partner, mother, and business woman but that's for a later day. Thank god that's over, right!When you have a small child you are often looking for ways to keep them entertained because no matter how magical you are, you are not magical enough for 9 hours. There are times that you think you have everything under control playing with the seemingly endless supply of toys specifically designed to make any adults ears bleed... but you don't. One second you're happy and laughing, the next following a headbutt that would render even the most seasoned pugilist unresponsive, you are back at square one. I feel as though it's necessary to state you are not in control, yes without you a child is technically helpless, but they run the show. Children are heartless anarchist dictators whose only goal is their own sense of joy, but they are blessing, miracle, and all of those things sarcastic parents wouldn't say. Remember I only say this because I care. Right, back to the point, entertaining your child. During your day you will at a minimum go for a walk, eat seven times, sing twelve songs, read twenty books, and go to the playground.
Have a wonderful day and smile it could always be worse,Playgrounds are amazing , for the kids, for a parent a playground is a microcosm of social darwinism. Here are some tips to help you survive and maintain face. Always dress well, no one respects the parents in sweatpants and a t-shirt. Never cling to your child, inevitably you look controlling and become "that parent" at the playground. Make sure you are 3 feet away from your child at all times unless directly interacting, any closer and your a hall monitor, any further and you're negligent. If your child interacts with other kids say hi to the parent, if they are obeying the previous rules, introduce yourself and child then wait. This will secure the upper hand in the interaction. You now have the ability to follow the other parents lead and abort if they are a rampant over-sharer. This can be treacherous because you will inevitably talk solely about the wonders of child rearing. On an aside isn't rearing a weird term? It's a functional term and I don't have anything better, but woof. Final advice, if you are a stay at home father you WILL be outnumbered by women and nannies, that's okay, be comfortable in your role and it helps to seem completely comfortable when your child has claimed the slide like spoils of war. Oh yeah one more thing don't over discipline at the play ground. You never look good when you have an iron fist, try bronze, it's a softer metal. Remember that at the end of the day it's all gravy because you have the best, worst paying, job in the world.
AJ.
Love this Scuttle! I'm sure you are rocking "daddy-hood". Hope all is well- Alyssa
ReplyDelete