Growing up in Vermont there used to be an old joke that you should never ask real Vermonter for directions. This was the gist, a flat lander (an out of stater) drives up to a man working on his house in rural Vermont. The out of Townes asks for directions to the local ski mountain. The Vermonter responds by saying " well ya go up the road til' ya get to the fork, ya go right til ya get to Jonesy's house and ya go left. After that go for a bit til' ya see where the old town hall was turn right, drive for a while then yull see old lady Winslows cow pasture turn left and yull be there in no time."
This comes to mid because everybody knows what to do when they've already done it but the first time is a bit of a challenge. I think the best way is, if you feel the need to ask, know what you're asking for instead of saying how do I get somewhere try instead ask how they got there the first time. The beauty of learning something is learning how somebody else did it first. That doesn't mean you need to follow them exactly it just means you now know how it can be done, that is the goal getting one step closer to an answer.
The point of all of this is that I've found myself realizing that when you have a job like mine you ask for a lot of help. I have never been one who asks for help easily so being in the position where asking for it is imperative is a bit challenging. My hope is that when I have need of assistance I always reach out in a way that is specific to me trying to get exactly what I need. Remember life is a lot easier when people want to help you, so always ask nicely.
Have a great day and smile, it could always be worse,
AJ
No comments:
Post a Comment